Head of Marketing (sports sector)
- Contract type
- Start date
This Head of Marketing position will be the strategic and operational lead on demand creation and acquisition for a significant new sport / digital start-up content platform. In a venture like this the Head of Marketing plays a vital role, and positioned as one of the three top-tier leadership positions, the marketing function here will be given the recognition, peer group support and freedom to design and implement the strategies you need to meet commercial objectives.
Working closely with the Head of Content and Head of Digital, the Head of Marketing will deploy their own and peers’ professional sports contacts, audience data analytics, and knowledge of leading digital marketing techniques and sponsorship deals to drive both audience demand and encourage partnership collaborations with global sports stars, clubs, federations and broadcasters.
If you offer experience in sports, e.g. with a sporting organisation or in sports broadcasting, as well as digital expertise then this could be a ideal move. This start-up is currently building its leadership team, so this an opportunity to build a culture and a digital team that works the way you do.
Our client in this case is a well-supported digital start-up that will sit at the confluence of digital, broadcast and sport. The business case revolves around a dedicated content platform, so being able to recommend and implement a digital platform strategy that maximises revenue across android & iOS devices as well as consoles, smart TV and connected devices will be core to this role. This start-up enjoys the support of a parent organisation, which means there is already an established commitment, infrastructure, business plan and contact network in place to leverage for growth.
This Head of Marketing role is one of a small number of leadership positions that will form the first tier of a dedicated leadership team reporting to the MD. Your eventual team members are yet to be hired, and you will identify, hire and develop them as you need. Likewise while the culture of the parent organisation will be influential, this is a start-up so your presence and personality will shape and define this business’s atmosphere and approach.
- Working closely with the CEO, Head of Digital and Head of Content develop and implement marketing strategies to communicate with target audiences.
- Leverage various content types, working with Head of Content to achieve high visibility and impact with audience, and trade and affiliate partners.
- Develop communication strategies to focussing on the positive benefits of the service.
- Create and implement activation programmes of events, activities and partnerships leveraging existing sporting and other events.
- Develop reward programmes and data analytics to continually measure and improve the cost of customer acquisition. Recruit and manage freelance individuals to deliver events and activations.
- Build strong working relationships with key consumer and trade sports journalists globally and create and deliver a consistent and positive output of consumer and trade public relations.
- Working closely with Head of Digital develop a compelling social media strategy.
- Recruit and line manage, motivate and develop the PR and Marketing Manager
- Manage the marketing budget and ensure third party service providers are appropriately negotiated and performance monitored.
- Manage research activity both qualitative and quantitative to better inform business decisions and ensure continuous improvement
- Work with the Head of Distribution and Sales to deliver cooperative marketing activity (including jointly funded activity) to achieve distribution, revenue and brand outcomes.
- Be source of competitor insights, monitor competitor activity and share industry trends and developments with team and colleagues
- Professional experience in sport, perhaps working with a professional sports organisation or in a related business – agency, charity, federation, broadcast media.
- As deep an understanding of the commercial frameworks around the sports world and media rights as possible.
- Experienced Head of Marketing with proven achievements in growth strategies, ideally in start-up environments.
- Adaptable and collaborative working style.
- Advanced knowledge of current digital media trends, technologies, best practices and tools
- Comfortable with using audience data as a tool to make decisions around lifetime value of customers and to reduce churn.
- Proven leadership and management experience.